It’s been a few more weeks now since the last post on the TSDZ2 Motor, So I thought I would share some more findings.
First off I am now running the very latest V 0.20 beta release of the opensource software and this has fixed several issues and the experience of riding this motor has just got better and better!
First thing I want to mention is a simple hack to help fit the motor on slightly wider Bottom Bracket frames. The kit comes with some small 5mm spaces for the bottom bracket, bracket but on my frame these were to short to make up the space so the bracket would bend and not clamp solid, Not ideal.
However I found that the end hex nut from Mountain bike V brake shoes was a perfect fit!
Brake sensors or no Brake sensors?
The TSDZ2 stock setup does come with two cable brake levers that include e-brake sensors, these plug directly into the stock VLCD5 screen and work well if your bike has cable operated brakes. However if you decide to move over to the Opensource Firmware for this motor and change the screen to the KT-LCD3 screen these brake sensors can only then be used if you cut of the plug and re wire them. If you are running Hydraulic brakes you will have to invest in separate brake sensors to attach to your current hydraulic brake levers to trigger when the brake is being applied. For this reason its not uncommon for people to choose not to include any brake sensors and keep things simple.
On the TSDZ2 motor, as its torque sensing this actually works quiet well, as soon as you stop pushing on the pedals the power drops off and the brakes can be applied to bring you to a stop. there is very little chance of the motor pushing against the brakes unless you both brake and pedal hard at the same time.
However the one time you do miss e brakes is when stopped at lights. If you tend to rest one foot on a pedal and hold the bike on the brakes (ready to set off ) then in the earlier opensource firmware this could lead to the bike lurching against the brakes, which is not good for the motor, and after so long to protect the motor it would error and then when you do actually setup you would find you had no assist at all!. Thankfully this issue has been resolved in the latest version 0.20 firmware and now its much harder to error the motor in this way. So you can really get away without brake sensors in most cases.
eMTB mode anyone?
One great new addition to the latest version 0.20 beta ( at time of writing) is the eMTB mode, this mode as the name suggests is designed to give a much more dynamic power delivery for riding hills and technical mountain bike tracks. The idea being you would typically be in a single low gear and want a very quickly responding motor as you navigate tight courses and hop up rocks etc. and for this purpose it works great. You can get a small amount of assistance from pushing lightly on the pedals but the full power if you pedal hard. no need to change assist levels , it can all be regulated from the pedal pressure alone.
More range on the throttle sensor
Another feature of this version on paper sounds like a small change, in effect the sensitivity and range of the throttle sensor has been improved, but in practice I think this is the biggest change to how I now ride. With the added range of torque/ pressure the sensor detects now means I can ride 90% of the time in a single assist level. if i want a small amount of assistance i maybe drop a gear and pedal with less force and get less assistance, want to ad some speed and go up a gear, the added resistance means more pressure is applied and the sensor detects this and gives you more power. Its very natural feeling and simplifies riding altogether!
I now only have 4 levels of assistance to choose from and to be honest could drop that to 3. the only time i now change is between terrain. so for my almost flat commute i stay in level 2 for a 9 mile stretch.